AECOM Technology Corporation
Company: AECOM Technology Corporation, New York, NY
Company Description: AECOM (NYSE: ACM) is a global provider of professional technical and management support services to a broad range of markets, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, water and government. With 45,000 employees around the world, AECOM is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves.
Nomination Category: Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, & Public Relations Awards Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Communications Department of the Year
Nomination Title: AECOM Technology Corporation – Corporate Communications
Tell the story about what this nominated department achieved since January 1 2010 (up to 500 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
AECOM (NYSE: ACM) is a Fortune 500 provider of professional-technical and
management-support services with an annual revenue run rate of approximately $8
With 45,000 employees serving clients in approximately 125 countries, AECOM
delivers expertise in engineering, architecture, design, planning, science and
In support of a period of unprecedented, dramatic business growth, AECOM
Corporate Communications displayed exceptional dedication and commitment to
turn three concurrent and daunting business challenges into opportunities that
enabled the team to directly contribute to the company’s success. This
1. Full roll-out of new, global rebranding effort – internally and externally.
2. Integration of seven acquisitions, representing a combined $2 billion in
annual revenue and over 7,000 employees.
3. Crisis communications related to the evacuation of staff from Libya.
Additionally, the team helped AECOM:
• pursue/maintain work on seven of the largest infrastructure projects in the
• be named one the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere;
• be named one of the Greenest Big Companies by NewsWeek;
• be featured by Fortune for delivering double-digit revenue and profit growth;
• and achieve the #1 ranking among engineering design firms in the U.S. by
Engineering News-Record (ENR) magazine.
1. Brand optimization around the world
AECOM fully rolled out its new global brand across all of its business lines
and geographies through a comprehensive strategic communications plan. This
included introduction of:
• Brand strategic workshops in Asia, Middle East, India, Europe and North
• iPad-friendly One e-publication.
• Inaugural online CSR report.
• Diversity and Inclusion podcast series, tailored by global geographies.
• Award-winning corporate video and Web site.
• AECOM industry whitepaper campaign, which received “Top Tweet” status on
2. Seven Acquisitions
AECOM acquired seven firms. For each, Corporate Communications coordinated
global external and internal communications (translated welcome packets,
Welcome Web sites, etc.), client outreach, and brand and organizational
3. Crisis Communications
With the most U.S. expatriate employees in Libya, Corporate Communications led
the crisis communications efforts in support of an evacuation of staff. These
efforts included all communications associated with:
• The evacuation
• Call center for families
• Media relations
• U.S. State Department and U.K. Foreign Services office
AECOM Corporate Communications supported the company’s continued success. We
have received many anecdotal stories that indicate that our messaging has
resonated with our clients, leaders and staff. This is supported by the
• 10% revenue increase
• 27% net income from continuing operations increase
• 55% increase in backlog of work to $14.7 billion
• Voluntary turnover of under 11%
• Sutong Bridge project in China selected as the world's 2010 Outstanding Civil
Engineering Achievement by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
• Won/maintained seven of the largest projects on the planet
• Ranked as #1 design firm worldwide by ENR
• 2010 WebAward from the Web Marketing Association
• CINE Golden Eagle Award for corporate video
• Placed two winners in the New Faces of Engineering competition plus three
List hyperlinks to any online news stories, press releases, or other documents that support the claims made in the section above. IMPORTANT: Begin each link with http://, and enclose each link in square brackets; for example, [http://www.youraddress.com]:
Provide a brief (up to 100 words) biography about the leader(s) of the nominated organization/department:
Paul Gennaro is SVP and Chief Communications Officer for AECOM. In this role,
he leads all aspects of global corporate communications. He joined AECOM in
March of 2006 and has led corporate communications in support of dramatic
growth, included the doubling of the workforce, the quadrupling of revenue, and
the execution of over 30 acquisitions. Previously, he managed all global
corporate and marketing communications for Johns Manville, a subsidiary of
Berkshire Hathaway. He has also held communications leadership roles for
Ingersoll-Rand, Dell and American Express. He began his career as a journalist
and public affairs officer for the U.S. Navy.