Company: International Checkout Inc, Santa Monica, California
Company Description: Since 2002, International Checkout has been at the forefront of global e- commerce, providing an integrated solution which allows US retailers to sell worldwide with no associated risks or difficulties. International Checkout serves over 110 online retailers, guaranteeing them against fraud and providing worldwide fulfillment and customer care services.
Nomination Category: Company/Organization Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Most Innovative Company of the Year – Up to 100 Employees
Nomination Title: International Checkout Inc
1. Describe for the judges the activities and accomplishments of the nominated company during the eligibility period (up to 500 words):
By partnering with International Checkout, US retailers are able to eliminate
international borders and tap into the billions of dollars spent online by
international consumers with no associated risks or difficulties.
Since 2002, International Checkout has been at the forefront of global e-
commerce, providing a turn-key integrated solution that includes a full range of
services. Merchants are able to open their sites to the quickly growing world
market within a few short hours, accessing the overseas buying power which is
being fuelled by the US dollar’s historic low. International Checkout assumes all
fraud risk, guaranteeing its merchants payment in US Dollars. In addition to
worldwide payment and fulfillment services, world class multi-lingual customer
service is provided. International Checkout serves more than 110 online retailers
including Dr. Martens and Internet Retailer Top 500’s Beach Audio, bebe stores
inc, Organize.com, Stacks and Stacks, and Working Persons Enterprises.
Consumers worldwide can now browse and add items to the shopping cart directly
on the merchant’s website. With the click of an “International Checkout” button,
the contents of the cart are seamlessly transferred to the AJAX-driven single page
checkout for the fastest easiest level of performance and maximum conversion
rate. Customers receive real time price quotes, with a currency conversion tool for
convenience, and the option to include duties and taxes.
The International Checkout purchasing team places orders on behalf of the
international customers directly on the merchant’s website, following the normal
checkout procedures and paying with US credit cards. The merchant ships to our
facility in Santa Monica, California. Upon arrival at our facility, each order is
inspected, packed, and shipped to the customer’s doorstep, via FedEx or UPS,
traceable and insured, anywhere in the world!
Landmark Innovations during Eligibility Period:
• Launched over 70 new US merchant partner sites (a 175% increase),
including Dr. Martens, and Internet Retailer Top 500 stores: bebe, Beach Audio
• Created Customer Login, which updates the customer every step of the
way and allows the customer to email directly through our database regarding
any specific order.
• Added AJAX technology to InternationalCheckout.com
• Developed a Single Page Checkout
• Created Branded Checkout to match the design of the retailer’s website
(Dr. Martens was the first to go live with this offering in August 2008)
• Added technology which allows product images to pass from the
merchant’s shopping cart to their International Checkout page
• Expanded workforce overseas with a purchasing team in Pakistan
• Re-design of InternationalCheckout.com, which features all of our
partner websites in a user friendly Shop by Category format.
• Implemented reporting practices to our partner stores, providing order,
country and customer data which the merchants may use for marketing. Of note:
Data provided to partner store Kitson (ShopKitson.com) was instrumental in
shaping its overseas expansion of brick and mortar stores (Dubai in October
2007 and Japan in 2008)
• Established relationships and technology with website hosting
companies to enable their merchants to integrate. (Yahoo!, ASP, Miva, and Unite
U stores, for example)
2. List the URLs (web addresses) of any online news stories, press releases, or other documents that you would like the judges to see that support your entry. IMPORTANT: List each URL on a separate line, begin each URL with http://, and enclose each URL in square brackets. For example, [http://www.yourcompany.com/pressrelease.html]:
3. Provide a brief biography of the person or persons who lead the nominated company (up to 100 words):
Raised in Holland, International Checkout Inc. CEO, Saskia Strick, relocated to
London to pursue her career as a fashion model, appearing on the pages of such
venerable publications as Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, and the acclaimed
Pirelli calendar, and starring in Milli Vanilli’s music video, Blame It on the
Rain. She later returned to Holland to help run her family’s successful import/export
In 1997, Saskia moved to Los Angeles. Bombarded by requests from friends and
relatives to ship them goods from America, she recognized the opportunity to
provide a much needed service and, in 2002, launched International Checkout.