Vimeo, New York, NY
Company: Vimeo, New York, NY
Company Description: Vimeo® is the high-quality video platform for creators and their audiences. Vimeo’s mission is to empower and inspire people around the world to create, share and discover videos. Vimeo has over 22M registered members and reaches a global monthly audience of more than 135M. Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo, LLC is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI).
Nomination Category: Company / Organization Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Company of the Year - Internet/New Media
Nomination Title: Vimeo, New York, NY
1. Tell the story about what this nominated organization achieved since January 1 2013 (up to 525 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
In the last year, Vimeo, the high quality platform for video creators and audiences, has developed an environment that supports content creators with new tools to create videos and earn revenue from their videos. Monetization While Facebook, YouTube, and other sites built their business models on advertising, Vimeo does things differently. Vimeo allows videomakers to generate revenue from their videos.
• In 2012, Vimeo began monetization efforts with the launch of a Tip Jar feature allowing viewers to voluntarily donate to the content creator.
• In 2013 and 2014, Vimeo launched Vimeo on Demand, giving content creators complete control over what portion of the film can be seen and how much it costs. Vimeo takes 10% of the revenue, much less than their competitors. Since its initial release, Vimeo On Demand has grown its catalog to over 6,000 films, from documentary to animation to action sports. Mobile Vimeo is focusing on their mobile efforts not just on iOS but across all mobile platforms.
• In 2013 Vimeo Acquired Animated GIF App Echograph As the Mobile Video Sharing Space Heats Up
• In 2014, Vimeo acquired Cameo, a mobile, cloud-based application for shooting, styling, and sharing beautiful short films.
• In 2013 Vimeo announced its integration into Apple's new iOS 7 operating system. Vimeo also launched its new app for iOS 7, providing a completely redesigned Vimeo experience. The update to the app was built entirely by the Vimeo staff, as it seeks to bring more development in-house, following the relaunch of its website earlier this year to make apps on other distribution platforms more beautiful and easier to use. Digital Distribution and Production Help for Content Creators
• Vimeo developed websites in French and German, expanding into Europe.
• Vimeo Added “Looks” To Its Enhancer Toolbox, Powered By Cloud Based,Visual FX Specialist Vivoom.” “Looks” provides more than 500 different filters its creators can use to enhance their videos
• Vimeo announced major upgrades to Vimeo PRO, designed to be the ultimate video solution anyone looking to showcase their work in high quality.
In 2014, Vimeo Launched:
• The Brand Creative Fund product, a new resource for brands to develop high-quality, “brand-enabled” video content in collaboration with the global network of innovative creators on Vimeo.
• A $500k Program Supporting Crowdfunded Films. Crowdfunded filmmakers will receive free PRO accounts and access to newly created $500K Audience Development Fund for distribution on Vimeo On Demand
• A $10 Million Investment For Creators Using Vimeo On Demand For Direct Distribution .
• A completely rebuilt HD player using HTML5 , building upon the best HD player in the market,.
As a result of their efforts to support content creators with new offerings, Vimeo is well positioned as the video distribution and revenue site for creators, independent films, and brands without the interference of in-streaming advertisements. In terms of competition, Vimeo doesn’t seem so concerned with matching YouTube’s level of volume. “There’s no part of the model for us that relies on volume of what’s being created,” said CEO Kerry Trainor. “It’s more about giving people the tools to empower them to create video.”
Upload a collection of supporting files and web addresses to our server to provide more background information to the judges. You may upload any number of attachments and URLs through the "Add Attachments, Videos, or Links to This Entry" link above. (Do NOT list your URLs below.)
Provide a brief (up to 125 words) biography about the leader of this nominated organization:
Kerry Trainor is the Chief Executive Officer of Vimeo. In this capacity he is responsible for the strategy, oversight, and development of Vimeo’s business. Mr. Trainor joins Vimeo from AOL, where he most recently served as SVP and General Manager, Entertainment for the Huffington Post Media Group. In this position he oversaw AOL's portfolio of entertainment properties including AOL Music, AOL TV, Moviefone, Huffington Post Entertainment, Huffington Post Celebrity and Huffington Post Comedy. Prior to AOL, Mr. Trainor was co-founder and CEO of FlipGloss Media, which was acquired by Forbes Media.. Prior to FlipGloss, Mr. Trainor was Head of Global Media Products for Yahoo! Music. Mr. Trainor began his Internet career at music startup LAUNCH.com which was acquired by Yahoo!.