Marriott Vacation Ownership
Company: Marriott Vacation Ownership, Inc
Company Description: Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI) is a wholly owned division of Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE/MAR). MVCI has 7,500 associates with 55 resorts system wide (31 in active sales) representing four (4) distinct Brands....Marriott Vacation Club International, Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club, The Marriott Grand Residence Club and The Ritz Carlton Club.
Nomination Category: Organization Awards Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Best Sales Organization
Nomination Title: Marriott Vacation Club International...A Great Place To Work
- Tell the story of what this functional organization has achieved in 2002 (up to 500 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI) is wholly owned division of Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE/MAR). Beginning in 1984, MVCI’s reputation for quality, consistency and innovation for the entire vacation experience of our customers has contributed greatly to our position as the leader in the Vacation Ownership Industry.
In MVCI's 19 year history we have generated a cumulative $5.2 B and amassed over 215,000 owners around the globe. Many have attributed this unprecedented growth to the implementation of a Consultative Sales Process and an intense focus on talent.
A sales process designed to withstand rapid growth across multiple brands while being flexible enough to adapt to various cultures around the world. A focus on talent achieved through a highly disciplined selection process utilizing proprietary selection instruments wherever possible as well as a support system for its associates (both new and existing) through world class training and development.
Today, MVCI is a global organization of 7,500 associates with 55 resorts system- wide (31in active sales) representing four (4) distinct Brands....... Marriott Vacation Club International, Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club, The Marriott Grand Residence Club and The Ritz-Carlton Club.
In 2002, we exceeded our contract sales and profit budgets and generated over $1.1B in sales. Particularly noteworthy is the fact that over 40% of our revenues were generated through existing MVCI owners and their referrals. This was the 7th consecutive year that our growth exceeded 20%. Without a formal industry tracking system, our best guess is that we increased our worldwide market share by as much as 5% to a total of 20 – 25%.
At MVCI, the "Main Thing" is creating 1 to 1 relationships with our associates and our customers. We believe that engaged associates create engaged customers and that both correlate to increased profitability. In a time when other companies have discontinued investing in their most precious resource (their associates), MVCI has done the opposite.
In 2002, working in conjunction with The Gallup Organization, we created multiple selection instruments and scaled the StrengthsFinder individualized development tool to over 1,000 of our field sales associates (see web link). Additionally, MVCI's "Spirit to Serve" resulted in it being chosen above all Marriott Business Units as the Alice Marriott Award recipient for Community Service, signifying a culture that also takes it’s enthusiasm into the community.
Desiring to go beyond being great, we began a major internal reorganization as a result of almost 2 years of reengineering study. 2002 was a time of aligning people, strategy, customer and process while also deploying a state of the art Customer Database. With this increased focus on our customer, we anticipate our 2002 Guest Satisfaction Rating of 90% to continue to rise.
Whether it is reengineering, expanding our resort system, initiating and sustaining sales operations globally or focusing on our associates and customers, our performance in 2002 clearly demonstrated that MVCI is not only a great company, but it’s a “Great Place to Work.”
- List hyperlinks to any online news stories, press releases, or other documents that support the claims made in the section above.
To include a URL you must begin and end the URL with a square-bracket and include http://
- Provide a brief (up to 100 words) biography about the leader(s) of this nominated functional organization:
Stephen P. Weisz is president of Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI). He manages four brands under the Marriott umbrella, which currently numbers 55 resorts (31 in active sales). He is also a member of the Board of Directors for The Ritz Carlton, LLC.
A 1972 graduate of Cornell University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Hotel Administration, he was awarded an honorary doctoral degree from Johnson & Wales University in 2001. Steve is Immediate Past Chairman of the Board of Governors for Children's Miracle Network.