Delta Air Lines' Al Bourne, Contact Center Professional of the Year
Company: Delta Air Lines, Inc. Atlanta, GA
Company Description: Delta Air Lines serves more than 180 million customers each year. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 312 destinations in 54 countries on six continents. The Cargo division handles an average of 800,000 customer contacts every year and supports approximately $660M in annual Delta Cargo revenue.
Nomination Category: Customer Service & Call Center Awards Individual Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Contact Center Professional of the Year
Nomination Title: Al Bourne
Tell the story about what this nominee achieved since the beginning of July 2015 (up to 650 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
Al Bourne embodies the three Delta brand attributes of thoughtful, reliable, and innovative. Since joining Delta Reservations in 2013, Al has played a major role in improving the tools and processes of Delta’s customer service teams worldwide. He has successfully implemented improvements across multiple departments with Reservations, Customer Care, Refunds, Social Media, Delta Cargo, and Sales Support.
Al’s major accomplishments and recognition include:
• Created “7 Wins with Win 7” to help frontline employees engage in a large upgrade of all 6,000 workstations in Reservations, Customer Care, Refunds, and Social Media
• Nominated for Chairman’s Club Award in 2015 – Delta’s highest employee recognition
• Launched new Cargo alert system for service recovery, called REACH, to reduce calls and proactively send rebooking details within 30 minutes of flight departure
• Led a team from the University of South Carolina which specializes in Global Supply Chain and Operations Management to redesign the customer experience when dialing 800-DL-CARGO, reducing customer wait time by two (2) minutes for each call
• Built a new internal Center of Excellence on how to thoughtfully handle customer emails with 40+ leaders across Delta’s contact centers and support from industry leaders at Verint
• Selected for the RISE mentorship program and partnered with a mentor for professional development as a leader within Delta Air Lines
As a Program Manager for Cargo Customer Experience, Al works with frontline and back office teams to understand their current processes and find innovative ways to improve the overall customer interaction. He has created training and assisted with developing new job descriptions to set the proper expectations for our frontline employees. His focus on technology has given our frontline employees better coordination between the contact center and Delta’s operations teams.
Al maintains a high standard both personally and professionally. He is a regular member of Toastmasters, focusing on his public speaking and leadership skills. Al holds a Masters of Science degree in Information Systems from Kennesaw State University. He earned his Bachelors of Science in Computer Science from University of West Georgia. If all of his distinctions at work were not enough, Al also added Father to the list in 2016. He has a new baby boy, Brayden Alexander Bourne, who is cheering on his favorite Miami teams in football and basketball. Go Hurricanes, Dolphins, and Heat!