Carbonite - Robert Frost, Contact Center Leader of the Year
Company: Carbonite, Inc., Lewiston, ME
Company Description: Carbonite (Nasdaq: CARB) is a leading provider of hybrid backup (cloud and local) and recovery solutions for home users and businesses. Carbonite offers a comprehensive suite of affordable services for data protection, recovery and anywhere, anytime access.
Nomination Category: Customer Service & Call Center Awards Individual Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Contact Center Leader of the Year
Nomination Title: Robert Frost, Vice President
Tell the story about what this nominee achieved since the beginning of July 2015 (up to 650 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Be sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and outcomes:
2016 was a fantastic year for all Customer Service and Technical support teams under Carbonite brands. As Vice President of Customer Care for Carbonite, Rob Frost led the 3 major lines of business through to high performance. Here is a review of how Rob impacted each business and what the end result has been for the company.
1. Personal Product Line (Home Users)
The Consumer product line is the origin of Carbonite and is in a saturated market caught in the race to $0 storage fees. As this particular market segment shrinks, it is critical that Carbonite wins a larger share and pushes functions on gross margin line (our Contact Centers) to enable higher profit. With customer options increasing and prices of competitive offerings lowering, it is critical to our success.
2. Business Product Line (SMB)
In 2016 Rob focused on 3 major areas for these two LOBs,
* Reducing costs through efficiencies - not the customer experience. Rob reduced Support-as-a-cost of revenue from 14.1% to 8.6% (more than 50% of the improvement coming in 2016)
a. Drove initiative to lower AverageHandleTime. Overall drop in AHT for live media went from >27.5min to <17min. Optimized tools, improved training, removed unnecessary processes and most importantly, we taught our managers to coach to AHT reduction by addressing observed opportunities (not “do better” coaching) and giving them the tools to help agents make the pivot positively
b. Rob personally renegotiated/replaced several technology contracts (Telephony, Remote Access, KB, WFM, LMS) and made it a priority to put the contact center from the newly acquired Evault team onto the same stack as our other centers. Result - savings of 4 million dollars over the next 3 years
* Driving sales by up-selling and cross-selling contacts coming in to our contact centers
a. Rob started an upselling initiative in 2015, selling over $2mil in 2015 and growing that to 4.5mil in 2016
* World Class Customer Satisfaction that drives things like trial conversion for those who contact support, renewal rates, word-of-mouth marketing, etc.
a. Transactional Customer Satisfaction for both product lines has been consistently 92-94%. This is up from 78% in 2014 when Rob took over
b. Improved CSAT has yielded a >7point increase in renewal rates resulting in >$9mil annually
c. Trial Conversion for Customers who contact support is >20% higher than those that did not. This is a good accomplishment considering these Customers are calling because they are having an issue
3. Evault (Mid-Market SMB)
Acquired at the beginning of 2016, Rob took over operations immediately following close of the acquisition. The team was poorly managed, had no process, used broken tools and was extremely inefficient. Rob was tasked with the complete turnaround of Technical Support for the upmarket, extremely complex software of the former Seagate owned technology. In the following 12 months, Rob led the team to improvements in Customer Satisfaction, Employee Satisfaction, Cost of Support, Customer Experience (wait time, backlog, days-to-resolve, etc). Rob personally got into the trenches with the team and learned what the issues were and tasked his team to fully integrate Evault into the existing teams. As a result;
* CSAT is meeting or exceeding industry benchmarks for technical support (>85% OSAT) coming from low 70s. Resolution rates are up 15 points
* Moved all Evault technology to the systems Carbonite was using, simplifying the administration of tools and will save $440k in 2017
* Escalations Management; We went from receiving daily escalations from sales teams and partners to now getting kudos for a job well done.
* Additionally, we transitioned from a T2-T3 model and backfilled attrition with a new lower-cost highly trained T1-escalate-to-T2 model that can handle 70% of issues at 40% less cost. This enabled us to bring on enough new agents to meet SLAs consistently
Rob pushes hard and demands results, but he is a mentor and guide that helps his team achieve success.