Net World Sports - Fastest-Growing Company of the Year
Company: Net World Sports, Wrexham, Wales
Company Description: Net World Sports is an e-commerce business, targeting schools, clubs and end-users with a range of quality, predominantly own-brand, sports equipment. We started with our Managing Director selling cricket bats from his bedroom in 2009 and are now recognised as a leading retailer within the industry, offering more than 5,000 different products to customers in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Nomination Category: Company / Organization Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Fastest-Growing Company of the Year - in Europe
Nomination Title: Net World Sports
Tell the story about the growth of this nominated organization since 1 January 2017 (up to 650 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms. Begin this section with the following two lines: Year over year revenue growth (%): Year over year employee growth (%):
Year over year revenue growth: 54%
Year over year employee growth: 40.3%
Net World Sports is an e-commerce business, targeting schools, clubs and end-users with a range of quality, predominantly own-brand, sports equipment. We started with our Managing Director selling cricket bats from his bedroom in 2009 and are now recognised as a leading retailer within the industry, offering more than 5,000 different products to customers in more than 100 countries worldwide. The majority of our products are stocked at our single 120,000 square foot warehouse in Wales and available for next day delivery to the UK, one-day shipping to America and two-day shipping to Australia – a service that’s virtually unheard of in the world of big and bulky sports equipment.
2017 was a phenomenally successful year for us with year-on-year sales rocketing by 54% to £18.2 million. International sales also accounted for more than half of our annual revenues, with 61.5% of our sales coming from overseas. Revenues from our international websites also increased at a remarkable rate, Australia.
As a result of this rapid growth, in 2017 we employed 58 new members of staff and also completed a purpose-built 3,000 square foot office extension. Despite these additional overheads that are necessary for such expansion, the business’s profitability hasn’t been impacted.
At Net World Sports everything we do is about being the very best we can be. We’ve already achieved fantastic success and are growing at a rapid rate, but we won’t rest until we reach our goal of becoming the best sports equipment retailer in the world. A bold ambition, underpinned by three core principles:
- Own Brand: Almost all of our products are own brand, giving us complete control of quality, supply and profit.
- Speed: We design and manufacture our products to minimise delivery times for customers. New products are listed on our websites to pre-order before they’re even in our warehouse.
- Glocal: While we’re unashamedly global, we make a conscious effort to be expressly local when talking to customers.
In the 2017 we have delivered a range of outstanding initiatives, including:
- Extended Hours: As we’ve grown, so has the number of countries we dispatch to. In order to provide the best customer experience possible and send prompt responses to customer enquiries regardless of different countries’ time zones, we have extended our opening hours. Our team now operate between 6am and midnight, Monday to Friday, and are also available for longer at weekends.
- Relaunch of six new websites: With an eye on the 2017 Christmas period, we relaunched six new versions of our sport-specific websites in October 2017. This was achieved by investing significantly in our in-house development team.
- New product development: Our product development process never stopped as we introduced 80 new products in sports as diverse as football, tennis, golf and baseball.
As a company we receive regular recognition for our growth and international sales success. Last year we were the only UK business to appear in all three of Sunday Times’ Fast Track 100 league tables, ranking profitability, sales and export figures and were also crowned winners at many regional and UK business awards.We were also shortlisted in 2017 for ‘International Growth Retailer of the Year’ at the Retail Week Awards 2018where we were awarded a ‘Mark of Excellence’ for our ongoing international success.
In bullet-list form (up to 150 words), a brief summary of up to ten of the nominated organisation’s chief achievements since 1st January 2017.
- 120,000sq feet: the total size of our size space, having purpose built an office extension.
- 100+: number of countries we delivered products to in 2017.
- 61.5%: sales come from overseas.
- 6am – 12am: opening hours of team since expansion.
- 6: new versions of our sport-specific websites were relaunched.
- 1 and 2 days: the fastest time we can shop the majority of our products to USA and Australia respectively.
- The only UK business to appear in all three of Sunday Times’ Fast Track 100 league tables, ranking profitability, sales and export figures.