Carbonite - Customer Service Department of the Year
Company: Carbonite, Inc., Lewiston, ME, USA
Company Description: Carbonite (Nasdaq:CARB) is a leading provider of hybrid backup (cloud and local) and recovery solutions for home users and businesses. Carbonite offers a comprehensive suite of affordable services for data protection, recovery and anywhere, anytime access.
Nomination Category: Customer Service Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Customer Service Department of the Year
Nomination Title: Carbonite Customer Care
Tell the story about what this nominated organization/department has achieved since 1 January 2016 (up to 650 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms.
Carbonite Customer Care underwent a complete transformation over the past 2+ years with a new senior management team. A strategic decision was made to be an extremely employee focused contact center, understanding that the customer is #1 but the most powerful way to the customer is through the agent. We drove morale and helped agents become better prepared. Once we reached World Class standards across the business, we set out to bring in revenue through an Upselling program, conducted enormous efforts to make our business more efficient, as well as many other initiatives over the past year.
In 2015 we started an Upselling pilot. Not only did we greatly increase revenue, but also increased CSAT further by ensuring customers were on the right product for their data security—Overall Satisfaction for cases involving an upsell rose to >98% and has been consistent! This program started as a pilot with $80k the first month, eventually yielding a monthly average of $230k for the remainder of 2015. Importantly, in 2016, we hired a full time manager for the program and enhanced it to over $4.2M!
Efficiency. An agent will hit any AHT that you put in front of her. However, impact to the customer is often negative. Therefore, we had a department-wide effort in 2016 to focus on HELPING agents become more efficient through tool automation, better processes, and call control initiatives to provide a more streamlined experience for the customer. A dedicated PM drove focus groups with agents and all levels of management. Outlying agents were identified and given as much help as necessary (as opposed to getting in trouble). We found dozens of troubleshooting steps that had minimal impact, complex email templates, QA processes that added little value, and MANY needed improvements to our CRM. Results from these efforts yielded a 37% reduction in AHT without any negative impact to CSAT and provided an overall >25% REDUCTION in Support costs for 2016 along with an increased customer renewal rate!
Ransomware has become a worldwide issue, where cyber thieves are illegally encrypting data through a virus (most notably CryptoVirus), demanding a “ransom” to get the data back. One of our AGENTS helped create a tool to fight this virus using Carbonite’s technology. Specifically, he worked extensively with our engineering team to create and test a tool that would allow our customers to recover previously unrecoverable, uninfected files without having to pay the ransom. Carbonite has deployed this tool to over 10,000 unique users, some having over 50 computers impacted. This is a staggering number and saved our customers from having to pay over $7 million in ransom! This accomplishment has been extensively written about in the press.
Some other notable accomplishments over the past year:
• The dedication and morale of our team really shined through an anomalous event. In June, due to widespread concerns with hacking of other company passwords, we decided to reset the passwords for our entire customer-base. For several weeks our contact rate went way above forecast. However, the first week was extreme. What did we notice? The level of dedication of our team was spectacular! 0% absenteeism—everyone banded together to fight the “queue war” and the team spirit shined throughout all agents and managers. This quest for service excellence was a sight to behold!
• Acquired a company, EVault, and successfully turned the company’s Support around directly attributing to increased stock price. Additionally, we saved our company >$440k in technology spend by renegotiating contracts and consolidating tools, including our launch of a Genesys phone switch.
Carbonite Customer Care’s CSAT results continue to be AMAZING, especially for the deep technical customer support that we provide—VSAT=85% (top box), OSAT=93% (top 2 box). Our motto? “Good is not good enough—either be the best in the world at what you do or work tirelessly towards that end.”
In bullet-list form, briefly summarize up to ten (10) accomplishments of the nominated department since the beginning of 2016 (up to 150 words).
1. Achieved >92% OSAT (>95% Phones) with Technical Support across all of Carbonite Brands including Zmanda, EVault, Carbonite, and Mailstore
2. Seamless integration of 2016 EVault acquisition.
a. Brought team onto single technology stack saving $440k annually (Bomgar, Genesys, SFDC)
b. Improved CSAT by 15 points in 2016
c. Reduced ASA from >15 min to <45 seconds with no incremental costs (funded new L1 Tech Support team by reducing overstaffing in other areas)
3. Reduced AHT from >27.5 to <17 minutes, enabling a reduction of >40 agents, saving $1.8M annually (team realignment, tool shortcuts, enhanced processes, targeted coaching/training)
4. Drove KB performance to >67% deflection rate (industry average ~22-23%)
5. Won 32 industry awards since 2016
6. Doubled sales from upsell program from $2M to >$4.2M YoY
7. Commissioned the creation of Ransomware tool to rollback data to previous date. 100% success rate, saving >10,000 customers from losing data/paying ransom