Company: ADTRAN, Inc. Huntsville, AL
Entry Submitted By: Witz Communications
Company Description: ADTRAN, Inc. is a leading global provider of networking and communications equipment. ADTRAN’s products enable voice, data, video and Internet communications across a variety of network infrastructures. ADTRAN solutions are currently in use by service providers, private enterprises, government organizations, and millions of individual users worldwide. For more information, please visit www.adtran.
Nomination Category: Products & Product Management Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Best New Product or Service of the Year - Software - Cloud Platform
Nomination Title: ADTRAN Mosaic
Tell the story about this nominated product or service (up to 650 words). Describe its function, features, benefits, and performance to date.
Just as Uber and Airbnb are doing for the taxi and hotel industry, ADTRAN is doing for the broadband and business services access network. The ADTRAN Modular Open System Architecture for Intelligent Cloud (ADTRAN Mosaic) architecture features a software-defined access (SD-Access) approach for building a broadband network that is open, programmable and scalable, differentiating it from the more inefficient traditional access networks. Deploying SD-Access architecture empowers telco and cable operators with a highly open and programmable network operations and a scalable service creation environment. This greatly reduces network operations costs while creating a user-driven service model which rapidly creates and deploys differentiated network services and customer applications, further increasing operator profitability and subscriber mindshare.
ADTRAN Mosaic, as the leading SD-Access architecture, is bringing datacenter economies and cloud agility to service providers with defined CORD use cases for residential, mobile and enterprise networks. ADTRAN Mosaic allows service providers to accelerate their path to SD-Access architecture, allowing them to better compete with alternative providers operating at web-scale. NG-PON2 and G.fast technologies, which are being trialed by leading Tier 1 carriers around the world, are being rapidly on-boarded using ADTRAN Mosaic. The key components of Mosaic include:
• Mosaic Cloud Platform: Combines modular apps that have been developed in open microservices architecture to provide network management and SDN control for the entire access network. It unlocks control and management functions from the underlying network elements, enabling a more flexible, agile services delivery framework.
• Mosaic OS: Modular OS that has been optimized for SDN-programmability, virtualization, high availability and multi-vendor app integration. It enables service providers to rapidly on-board new access technologies and introduces disruptive operational efficiencies while creating revenue-generating on-demand applications across their entire access network.
• Programmable Network Functions: The ADTRAN SDX Series of next-generation programmable network elements offers open, programmable APIs that natively integrate into any leading open-source SDN control and orchestration system. ADTRAN SDX Series solutions span from cloud edge to subscriber edge, expediting the deployment of fully automated web-scale networks.
Today’s traditional telco and cable broadband service providers are faced with a difficult situation. Their customers are demanding flexible user-defined services available when and where they need them. Alternative providers’ Over-the-Top (OTT) and web-based services have been successful at meeting these demands and if network operators want to protect their current market share and attract new customers, they must find a better way to compete.
Network operators must quickly transition to the future network, one that is open, programmable and scalable. These Software-Defined Networks (SDNs) provide the flexibility needed to address customer demands lightning fast and with greater agility. Likewise, the data center networking principles that helped spur the growth of web-scale companies are now being embraced by major communications service providers to build next-gen broadband networks.
The ADTRAN SD-Access architecture powered by ADTRAN Mosaic offers operators an ultra-agnostic network model transparent to access technology (G.fast, xPON, xDSL, etc.), chipset (Sckipio, BCOM, etc.) and media (Fiber, Copper, Coax, Wireless). ADTRAN Mosaic cloud platform is equally applicable to designing, delivering and maintaining disruptive business, residential and infrastructure backhaul services and supports either traditional, modern and next-gen technologies, services or management implementations. ADTRAN SD-Access programmable network functions are natively integrated into an open microservices architecture that spans the entire network from cloud edge to subscriber edge— from data center to device. It is also the industry’s most complete solution for cloud edge to subscriber edge connectivity featuring an open SDN controller, orchestration, modular OS, and programmable physical and virtual network functions.
In bullet-list form, briefly summarize up to ten (10) of the chief features and benefits of the nominated product or service.
1. ADTRAN Mosaic, as the leading SD-Access architecture, is bringing datacenter economies and cloud agility to service providers with defined CORD use cases for residential, mobile and enterprise networks.
2. ADTRAN Mosaic is the industry’s first, most open and most scalable SD Access architecture. It uniquely leverages disaggregated physical network access elements that are integrated natively into open source SDN controllers.
3. ADTRAN is the first and only access vendor fully aligned with the R-CORD open reference architecture (ON.Labs). It is currently involved in over 25 trials with carriers around the world since being launched in August 2016.
4. ADTRAN Mosaic is the industry’s most complete SD-Access architecture spanning the entire access network from the cloud edge to subscriber edge, providing services delivery and support for all physical access media, whether it is on fiber, copper, coax or wireless