ZL Technologies - ZL File Analysis and Management
Company: ZL Technologies, Milpitas, CA
Company Description: Founded in 1999, ZL Technologies has proven itself as the specialized provider of electronic content archiving software for the most demanding large enterprise environments. The award-winning ZL Unified Archive® and ZL File Analysis and Management address analytics, e-Discovery, compliance, records management and storage optimization with a singular architecture.
Nomination Category: New Product & Service Categories - Content
Nomination Sub Category: New Product or Service of the Year - Content - Content Analytics Solution
Nomination Title: ZL File Analysis and Management
Tell the story about this nominated product or service (up to 650 words). Describe its function, features, benefits, and performance to date: TEXT REDACTED FOR PUBLICATION
ZL Technologies introduced ZL File Analysis and Management (ZL FAM) in April, 2016 as a means for organizations to map, visualize, and control files across all file sources.
Regardless of a company’s principle reason for file analysis, such initiatives often begin with a scan of metadata. ZL FAM’s metadata-analysis and visualization features offer users actionable insight into all major enterprise file sources, from file shares and SharePoint to Exchange, Domino, and Office 365. This scan provides users with a comprehensive overview of variables such as location, file type, author, and creation and modification dates, displayed through intuitive and practicable charts and graphs. At this point, companies will typically have enough information to identify large quantities of files eligible for remediation, for instance deletion of obsolete files. In fact, experience has shown that 80% of insights from file analysis typically comes from metadata-analysis alone.
Users can then perform accelerated analysis, which employs proprietary algorithms to provide a representative sample of files at a content level. This sample accurately details the type of information found in various locations, informing users as they decide where to focus continuing file analysis efforts.
From here, companies will often use ZL FAM to perform content-analysis, either in select locations identified through accelerated-analysis, or across all file systems. Content-analysis enables a fully customizable search for criteria such as file type, keyword, and character patterns indicative of personally identifiable information (PII), personal health information (PHI), and personal credit card information (PCI). At any and all points throughout this process, users can tag files individually or on a large scale with adjustable classification tags, and then perform policy-based remediation actions, such as deletion, relocation to a secure environment, and assignment of access privileges. For any organization seeking to regain control of its data, all enterprise file content is made fully searchable, accessible, and amenable, within a singular interface.
File cleanup is an essential step in data management initiatives, but without ongoing governance, data will quickly accumulate once again and demand repeated cleanup. For companies that want only to perform file cleanup once and never again, what truly separates ZL FAM from the competition is the capability for seamless transition into ongoing file governance. Ingesting data into ZL Unified Archive® enables users to create automated policies, meaning that files are auto-classified and assigned retention policies based on metadata and content policies, with the option of manual review. The benefits of our unified architecture are numerous: stubbing, single-instancing and deduplication of redundant files for storage optimization; comprehensive records classification and lifecycle management; and legal hold and end-to-end eDiscovery functionality, to name a few.
ZL FAM’s powerful capabilities have been observed both in the IT World Awards, as well as KMWorld’s “Trend-Setting Products of 2016.” Whether a company wants to secure sensitive information as a component of risk mitigation efforts, establish policies for ongoing governance, or simply clean up its file share to optimize storage and user access, ZL’s powerful analysis and remediation features provide the most effective method on the market.
In bullet-list form, briefly summarize up to ten (10) of the chief features and benefits of the nominated product or service:
• Compatible with all major file sources: including file shares, SharePoint, Exchange, Domino, and Office 365.
• Metadata-analysis and visualization: Scans file sources for metadata fields such as file type, location, and modification date. Results are presented through practicable charts and graphs.
• Advanced tagging and remediation: allows users to create customizable tags, and apply remediation policies such as deletion, quarantine, and access privilege assignment.
• Accelerated-analysis: provides representative sample of file sources using proprietary algorithm
• Content-analysis and enterprise-wide search: full-text indexing of all files allows users to quickly search across all file sources.
• File archiving and long-term governance: Ingestion into Unified Archive® on an ongoing basis provides the following capabilities, among many: automated classification policies, adjustable retention periods, legal hold, and storage optimization
• Risk mitigation and GDPR compliance: securing personal information protects companies against insider leaks and security breaches, and companies can comply with GDPR by locating personal data for subject requests.