Vivint Smart Home - Customer Service Executive of the Year
Company: Vivint Smart Home, Provo, UT
Company Description: Vivint Smart Home is a leading provider of smart home services in North America. As the only vertically integrated smart home company, Vivint delivers its integrated platform and products with in-home consultation, professional installation and support delivered by its Smart Home Pros, as well as 24-7 customer care and monitoring.
Nomination Category: Customer Service Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Customer Service Executive of the Year
Nomination Title: Norm Nelson, Director of Customer Experience
Tell the story about what this nominee has achieved since January 1, 2016 (up to 650 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms.
Norm Nelson has been Director of Customer Experience for Vivint Smart Home since 2014. In 2016, he spearheaded multiple key projects to more tightly align the department with the strategic direction of the company, modernize and streamline customer services processes, and drive substantial improvements in employee and customer satisfaction.
The Red Queen Project
With Vivint experiencing significant growth, Norm challenged himself and his team to aggressively improve productivity so they could effectively meet the demands of the growing customer base. Through a robust discovery and problem-solving process, they identified multiple opportunities to positively transform Vivint’s customer support.
To capitalize on those opportunities, Norm launched the Red Queen Project, an initiative that now serves as the blueprint for both strategic and tactical changes as diverse as creating a work-at-home program to a roadmap on how to deploy technology to meet customer needs. The Red Queen Project set the tone for future growth and long-term success, but also made an immediate impact in the short term. Based on the discoveries they made from the planning process, the team opened two new locations that staff nearly 300 employees, and also introduced a gamification initiative for agents that quickly led to a 20 percent increase in agent productivity.
Employee Satisfaction and Attrition
Norm led the team through comprehensive employee surveys, satisfaction interviews, and exit interviews. As a result of this focus on employee satisfaction, his team pinpointed several key preventable causes of attrition and took aggressive steps to mitigate them. Among the changes they made, the team improved schedule flexibility, increased pay, and developed a leadership path for supervisors and managers that included enhanced skills-based training.
These changes improved employee satisfaction by 56 percent, as measured by Employee Net Promoter Score surveys. They also reduced employee attrition by 47 percent year-over-year, simultaneously saving the department more than $600,000.
To achieve his goal of improving customer satisfaction from good to world-class, Norm put in place three key process improvements in the call center.
• Introduced a new troubleshooting wizard named “Merlin” to deliver a more consistent experience for customers and improve agent confidence.
• Implemented a new tiered response system to reduce the amount of knowledge a single agent had to retain and shorten overall handle times and hold times.
• Improved the IVR system to ensure fewer transfers, shorter holds, and a better pre-call experience for customers.
These process improvements boosted Vivint’s transactional NPS score by 9 points, a 20 percent increase and a meaningful jump in a challenging work setting.
One of Vivint Smart Home’s values states, “Customer obsession is our advantage.” Norm’s vision personified that value and drove the significant improvements that have positioned the department for ongoing world-class service.
In bullet-list form, briefly summarize up to ten (10) accomplishments of the nominee since the beginning of 2016 (up to 150 words).
• Implemented the Red Queen Project, a holistic strategy to aggressively improve and grow customer support to meet rapidly increasing demand
• Oversaw the opening of two new sites with over 300 employees, resulting in significantly decreased wait times
• Navigated a partnership with Stateside BPO to provide contingency staffing
• Successfully oversaw the implementation of a work-from-home program as part of the goal to improve employee satisfaction
• Directed a new partnership with ClearView to gamify front-line work, resulting in a 20% increase in agent productivity
• Reduced employee attrition by 47% year over year, resulting in over $600,000 of savings
• Increased transactional Net Promoter Score by 9 points, a 20% increase
• Ended the year within 1% of a $20+ million budget
• Played a key role in the development of several new products by providing keen insights during product solutioning meetings
• Mentored leaders through a strategic leadership development program