NFL and the United Way Worldwide Character Playbook
Company: The United Way, Alexandria, VA
Entry Submitted By: Everfi
Company Description: Founded in 1888, United Way is engaged in nearly 1,800 communities across more than 40 countries and territories worldwide. United Way focuses on education, financial stability and health-- the building blocks for a good life and a strong community. As the largest privately-funded nonprofit in the world, United Way improves the lives of millions of people every year.
Nomination Category: New Product & Service Categories - Education
Nomination Sub Category: New Product or Service of the Year - Education - K-12 Course or Learning Management Solution
Nomination Title: NFL and the United Way Worldwide Character Playbook
Tell the story about this nominated product or service (up to 650 words). Describe its function, features, benefits, and performance to date: TEXT REDACTED FOR PUBLICATION
Together, the NFL and United Way Worldwide have developed Character Playbook as an innovative digital learning experience that uses evidence-based strategies to educate students on how to cultivate and maintain healthy relationships during critical middle school years. The graphic novel style of the course engages students in interactive educational activities, challenging them to better understand their own values and relationships with others.
The experience is comprised of six modules which cover key concepts around positive character development, social-emotional learning (SEL), and building healthy relationships. The course allows students to engage with true-to-life scenarios that include bystander intervention strategies and positive relationship examples.
The Character Playbook curriculum was vetted by prominent experts on social-emotional learning and healthy relationship development. Teachers have access to their own dashboard to monitor students’ progress, and receive real time feedback about Character Playbook's impact on their learning audience. Through the partnership between the NFL and United Way, Character Playbook is provided at no cost to schools in 32 markets around the country
In bullet-list form, briefly summarize up to ten (10) of the chief features and benefits of the nominated product or service:
• Character Playbook offers robust supplementary materials for each teacher to aid implementation:
-Training resources and personal assistance
-Real-time student scores on a personal teacher dashboard
-Curriculum Guide with a detailed course outline
-Supplemental lesson plans
-Alignment guide with state-specific standards
-Answer key and discussion guide
• Character Playbook covers the following topics:
-Understanding and Managing Emotions
• Character Playbook is Accessible by computer and tablet
• 6 Self paced Modules (20 min. – 30 min. each) for a Total time 2 – 3 hours. Students can save their progress at any time and resume at their convenience.
• Implemented in Social Studies, English, Health, Advisory classes, grades 6-9. Also used in High Schools where teachers feel the material vital for seniors before departing for college.
• Contains formative assessments and pre- and post-surveys used to track knowledge gains and changes in attitudes and behaviors on a local, statewide, or national scale.
• Like all Everfi programs and products Character Playbook is COPPA and FERPA compliant.