Makovsky & Co, New York, NY
Company: Makovsky & Co, New York, NY
Company Description: Founded in 1979, Makovsky is a leading global independent integrated communications consultancy, building businesses and reputations with ideas that cross the boundaries of traditional, digital, social and experiential media. Makovsky has specialties in Heath, Financial Services, Professional Services, Technology and Energy & Sustainability
Nomination Category: Company / Organization Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Company of the Year - Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations
Nomination Title: Makovsky
Tell the story about what this nominated organization has achieved since January 1 2015 (up to 650 words). Focus on specific accomplishments, and relate these accomplishments to past performance or industry norms.
To create true distinction and value in public relations, an agency must excel in client delight, peer recognition, industry leadership/ reputation, employee delight and business performance. We believe in 2015 no other agency surpassed Makovsky’s based on the sum total of these criteria. It is by this distinction that we submit Makovsky as PR Agency of the Year for 2015.
• Client Delight: In a third-party administered survey of our clients, 90% rated us above average or outstanding in 11 measures of service excellence, including strategic intelligence, campaign results, adherence to deadlines, reporting and relationship quality. Our clients walked the talk; client retention in 2015 was 77%, which exceeded our target and stands as a hugely impressive mark in an industry marked by turnover. During 2015, clients commented on our professionals’ “depth of insight” and “passion,” noting that the firm consists of “good people, inside and out.” 15 Makovsky clients have been agency partners for over five years.
• Peer Recognition: In 2015, Makovsky won 25 awards from 11 organizations, ranging from the Public Relations Society of America to Washington University. These totals are a record for the firm and on a size-adjusted, per-capita basis, probably unsurpassed in the public relations industry. The awards include some of the industry’s most prized accolades: designation as agency of the year in digital communications, website design, public relations innovation and crisis management (Makovsky has been named PR Agency of the Year four times in the past two years by three different organizations). Three of the agency’s leaders were recognized as professional of the year. In 2015, Makovsky was ranked #22 on the “PR Power 50 List” by the New York Observer, surpassing agencies with far greater reach and revenues.
• Industry Leadership/Reputation: In 2015, Makovsky cemented its reputation as one of the most successful, visible and admired public relations agencies of any size in the United States. The firm was featured or cited 458 times in national, regional and trade media. Founder and President Ken Makovsky, blogger of the year for three of the past four years, is probably among the most visible and influential blogger in the industry today, syndicated in national media such as Forbes.com and Bloomberg BusinessWeek’s Business Exchange. Makovsky conducts proprietary research in its industry service niches and shares this intelligence through private seminars and conferences. The firm conducted 34 such seminars in 2015, including Digital Pharma Conferences on the East and West Coasts and a Financial Communications Society Dinner attended by top Wall Street institutions.
• Employee Delight: Makovsky has been named a Best Places to Work Agency for five consecutive years. The voluntary employee turnover in 2015 was just 18%, among the lowest in the industry. A recent internal survey found that 82% of employees feel motivated and challenged by their work. The agency’s professional staff includes 26 women and 8 ethnic minorities, representing 51% of the professional workforce. The internal culture is grounded in transparent communication – the foundation for a trusting, team-based, high-performing agency. The agency prizes and supports volunteer service, and many employees serve as members, board directors or counselors to important educational, economic development and human rights organizations.
• Business Performance: Makovsky revenues surpassed $13.5 million in 2015, up 86% in the past ten years. Last year it closed nearly two out of every four sales leads, an extraordinary success ratio which may be unsurpassed in the industry. One quarter of these new programs included a social media component.
In bullet-list form, briefly summarize up to ten (10) of the chief accomplishments of this organization since the beginning of 2015 (up to 150 words).
• Won 25 industry awards from 11 different organizations, a tally probably unsurpassed in the industry on agency size-adjusted basis.
• Named Agency of the Year in Digital Communications, Website Design, Program Innovation and Crisis Management.
• Three agency members were named Professional of the Year.
• Ranked 22nd on the New York Observer’s “PR Power 50 List,” surpassing agencies with far greater reach and revenues.
• Closed nearly two out of every four sales leads.
• 90% of clients rated Makovsky above average or outstanding in 11 measures of service excellence.
• Client retention was 77%.
• Agency was profiled or cited 504 times by national, regional or trade media.
• Voluntary employee turnover rate was just 18%.
Of the following measures of success, which ONE do you want the judges to most appreciate about your organization's story of achievement since the beginning of 2015?