Bensussen Deutsch & Associates - Marketing Campaign of the Year
Company: Bensussen Deutsch & Associates (BDA), Woodinville, WA
Entry Submitted By: Barokas Public Relations
Company Description: Bensussen Deutsch & Associates, LLC (BDA), the nation's first and largest privately held Merchandise Agency™ established in 1984, is the only full-service, in-house global company that provides integrated promotional marketing services and holistic branded merchandise to global Fortune 1000 enterprises, major sports leagues and global entertainment holding companies.
Nomination Category: Marketing Campaign Categories - Industry
Nomination Sub Category: Marketing Campaign of the Year - Beverages - Alcohol
Nomination Title: Coach Jon Gruden Bobblehead Campaign for Corona
Tell the story of this nominated marketing campaign for the judges (up to 650 words). Describe the genesis, planning, execution, and results to date of your campaign.
International producer of wine, beer, and spirits, Constellation Brands, enlisted BDA to help Corona target football fans with a storefront-worthy display featuring its newly-designed Corona beer can for the 2016 football season. Corona wanted to increase exposure during the fall football season and encourage football fans to make the right call and drink Corona on game day. BDA used an innovative marketing approach to help change the summer-only perception and increase sales during football season. BDA leveraged its in-house design and supply chain management expertise to execute a disruptive display enhancer featuring Corona’s spokesperson and respected NFL personality, Coach Jon Gruden.
BDA designed, developed, produced and distributed buzz-worthy bobbleheads in Gruden’s likeness: 4,420 4-foot-tall bobbleheads for in-store displays nationwide and 15,000 7-inch minis for prizes and giveaways. The end-aisle displays, which included the large Gruden bobblehead with an open hand for holding the newly-designed Corona can packaging, Corona banners, metal cooler, palm trees and an artificial grass base erupted across social media.
The never-before-seen giant bobbleheads created organic buzz on social media and raised awareness of the Corona brand. An Instagram profile was even created for the bobblehead persona. This display created a different level of disruption, engagement and product sell. You’ll never see someone take a selfie with a cereal display in the aisle, but fans gladly posted selfies with the 4-foot-tall Gruden bobblehead. A popular term in BDA’s industry is ‘display enhancers’ but the merchandise agency likes to call them ‘display disruptors’.
Thanks to the army of bobbleheads deployed nationwide, Corona Extra reported a record high in case sales in calendar year 2016, growing depletions over 5% over the prior year, and attributed this success, in part, to increased investments in media and merchandising. The Corona can format, featured in this campaign, grew over 20% during the duration of the campaign. BDA was also able to save Constellation 50 percent on shipping costs by utilizing its supply chain expertise. As a result of the success, Constellation is again working with BDA to create disruptive retail promotions across its stable of brands. Constellation has been a BDA partner for two years.
“With the help of BDA’s innovative product development and retail distribution capabilities we’ve gained share throughout the year -- even during football season, which is a very competitive space and time period.” John Alvarado VP of Marketing, Corona Extra
In bullet-list form, briefly summarize up to ten (10) of the chief features and results of the nominated campaign (up to 150 words).
• A first-of-its-kind life-size bobblehead display was created and intricately designed to hold up a can of Corona beer at retail
• Corona Extra reported a record high in case sales in calendar year 2016, growing depletions over 5% vs. the prior year, and attributed this success, in part, to increased investments in media and merchandising.
• The Corona can format, featured in this campaign, grew over 20% during the duration of the campaign.
• The 4,420 4-foot-tall bobbleheads for in-store displays nationwide and 15,000 7-inch minis raised brand awareness and created buzz on social, even prompting a fan account for the Gruden bobblehead
• Bobbleheads were deployed to 4,400 participating locations nationwide, including grocery chains and convenience stores.
• The giant bobblehead built bridges between summer beer drinkers and football fans nationwide.
• BDA saved Constellation Brands more than 50 percent in shipping costs with distribution from eight different ports.