Adriena Daunt - Tourism New Zealand
Company:Tourism New Zealand, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Company Description:Tourism New Zealand is a crown entity funded by the New Zealand Government, and is responsible for marketing New Zealand to the world as a tourist destination. Led by a Board of Directors appointed by the Minister of Tourism, Tourism New Zealand has a team of around 150 staff in 14 offices around the world.
Nomination Category:Individual Awards Categories
Nomination Sub Category:Female Executive of the Year – Government or Non-Profit –11 to 2,500 Employees
Nomination Title: Adriena Daunt - An Innovative Destination Marketer
Describe for the judges the activities and accomplishments of the nominated executive since the beginning of July last year (up to 525 words): TEXT REDACTED FOR PUBLICATION
Adriena Daunt leads the PR function for Tourism New Zealand across six countries in the Americas. Tourism New Zealand is a highly innovative tourism board that owns and manages the globally recognized 100% Pure New Zealand brand.
Tourism is the second largest export earner for New Zealand, with the Prime Minister himself holding responsibility for the portfolio of Minister of Tourism. As such, Tourism New Zealand is responsible for bringing international visitors and increasing the value of tourism to the New Zealand economy.
Adriena has been based in the Los Angeles office of Tourism New Zealand for the past seven years. During that time she has pioneered PR campaigns that had a significant impact on visitation, particularly from the US market which saw growth of 15% in holiday visitor arrivals over 2014.
In addition to managing the PR teams for the US and Canada, Adriena led the expansion of Tourism New Zealand’s PR strategy into the emerging markets of Brazil, Mexico, Chile and Argentina.
Specific Achievements since July 2014
1. Led a media program that saw 46 journalists from the Americas hosted in New Zealand to produce feature stories in print, online and broadcast media. This media coverage was valued at total US$12 million in direct equivalent advertising value (EAV).
Media Program Coverage Highlights (attached):
• USA: Departures magazine (1.2m circulation)
• USA: Gear Patrol.com (60 stories; 1.6m unique users)
• USA: NBC World of Adventure (800,000 viewers)
• Canada: Toronto Star (346,000 circ)
• Mexico: Travel+Leisure (46,500 circ)
• Brazil: Tam nas Nuvens (150,00 circ)
2. In addition to the hosted media program, Adriena led a content strategy which saw over 700 stories published about travel to New Zealand, valued at US$28 million EAV.
3. The message across the media coverage generated by both the media program and content strategy was 95% reflective of Tourism New Zealand’s core brand values - shown by consumer research to motivate potential travelers to choose New Zealand for their next trip.
4. Managed the “Hobbit Fan Fellowship Contest” in the Americas to leverage media and consumer interest in New Zealand as the location for The Hobbit Trilogy. Announced at Comic-Con by director Peter Jackson, the contest saw fans compete in challenges starting with a socially share-able “Postcard to Peter”. Winners took a Middle-earth journey around New Zealand culminating in a private pre-screening of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in Wellington. The contest generated media coverage worth $27 million EAV, with #realmiddleearth social posts reaching 12 million people.
5. Recruited the core team for Tourism New Zealand’s new São Paulo office and retained PR agencies across four Latin American markets. Led PR activity that contributed to growth of 11.5% in holiday visitor arrivals from Brazil and 19.5% in holiday stay days (at year ending May 2015).
6. Managed PR activity for the Tuku Iho exhibition of Maori art in Santiago and Buenos Aires, including media previews, events and flash mobs. Generated 100 stories for New Zealand in Chile and Argentina with a value of $1 million EAV.
Provide a brief biography of the nominated executive (up to 125 words):
Adriena Daunt is a talented public relations professional with a deep understanding of the global tourism industry. In her current role at Tourism New Zealand in Los Angeles, she leads PR strategy across six countries in the Americas. Prior to this role, Adriena led the PR team at one of the world’s most exclusive resorts, One&Only Reethi Rah Maldives.
Adriena has developed and implemented public relations strategies for tourism brands in several markets internationally, starting her career with high-profile PR agencies in New Zealand and the UK. Her knowledge of the global media landscape, natural leadership and strategic ability enable her to deliver outstanding results for Tourism New Zealand, an organisation which has won many awards for ground-breaking marketing and PR campaigns.