GSMA - Mobile World Congress
Company: GSMA, London, United Kingdom
Company Description: The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide. Spanning 219 countries, the GSMA unites nearly 800 of the world's mobile operators, as well as more than 200 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset makers, software companies, equipment providers, Internet companies, and media and entertainment organisations.
Nomination Category: Live Event Categories
Nomination Sub Category: Best Tradeshow or Convention
Nomination Title: GSMA Mobile World Congress
The date on which this nominated production was presented:
The 2011 event was held on 14th – 17th February in Barcelona, Spain. Mobile World Congress (MWC) has continued to grow in scope and in scale, particularly since it moved from Cannes to Barcelona in 2006.; In 2005 (the last year the event was held in Cannes), Mobile World Congress had 34,000 attendees and approximately 650 exhibitors. The 2011 event had more than 60,000 attendees and 1,400 exhibitors.
Briefly describe the nominated event's communications objectives and how it met those objectives (up to 500 words). After this description, provide URLs to online photographs, video clips, press clippings, etc. that will portray the event for the judges. IMPORTANT: Begin each link with http://, and enclose each link in square brackets; for example, [http://www.youraddress.com]:
The GSMA Mobile World Congress , recognised as the mobile industry’s must-attend event, features a thought leadership conference with C-level speakers, an exhibition showcasing cutting-edge mobile products and services, specialised educational and technology programmes and myriad opportunities for business development.
The GSMA had several objectives:
• Attract more than 55,000 attendees and 1,300 exhibitors.
• Assemble an unprecedented conference line-up featuring a “who’s who” of the mobile communications industry.
• Draw 10,000 developers to App Planet, a mobile app developer-focused event at Mobile World Congress, and expand the application developer conference (ADC) programme.
• Create an environment that facilitates business development and networking opportunities.
• Recognise the industry’s greatest achievements, new technologies and innovative devices through the Global Mobile Awards.
• Provide outstanding reporting opportunities and resources for global media and increase media awareness and coverage of Mobile World Congress.
An unparalleled conference programme, outstanding exhibition showcasing cutting-edge mobile technologies and solutions, an aggressive, multi-faceted marketing campaign, and the addition of new and innovative event elements resulted in record results:
• More than 60,000 attendees from 200 countries with 58% of all attendees holding C-level positions.
• Nearly 1,400 exhibitors from 59 countries. 58,600 net square metres of exhibition and hospitality space attracting companies such as HTC, Huawei, Intel, Google, LG, Microsoft, Motorola, Qualcomm, RIM and Samsung.
• More than 2,900 international press from 82 countries.
• Government delegations from 131 countries.
• More than 260 speakers in 44 sessions delivered 65 hours of content in the conference programme including CEOs from América Móvil, AT&T, China Mobile, Cisco Systems, Ericsson, Google, HTC, Intel, Microsoft, Nokia, NTT DoCoMo, Qualcomm, Research In Motion (RIM), SoftBank, Telefónica, Twitter, Vodafone, WPP and Yahoo.
Conference features included Mobile Ad Forum and App Planet Forum and additional tracks focused on areas such as Embedded Mobile, mHealth, Mobile Money, Next-Generation Network Technologies and OSS/BSS .
Further sessions topics included augmented reality, business strategy, cloud computing, enterprise mobility, media and entertainment, the mobile Internet and network capacity.
• More than 45,000 visits to App Planet, including 12,000 app developers.; App Planet hosted 13 ADCs from companies such as Microsoft, Nokia and RIM, and featured new initiatives including App Planet Forums and Macworld Mobile.
• 25 Global Mobile Awards, including several new categories, presented by television personality Jonathan Ross, attracting more than 600 high calibre entrants. The Congress Party and Awards Celebration featured entertainment by Grammy and Brit Award-winning singer Duffy and acclaimed indie rock band Metric.
• Launched Brand App Challenge, Band App Audition and mWomen Mobile App Challenge competitions to focus specifically on developers.
• Creation of Mobile World Live TV to broadcast live panel discussions, interviews, news and keynote sessions both on location and to 12,000 hotel rooms across Catalonia. Content was streamed via the Mobile World Live website to 83,000 community members worldwide and delivered direct to phones via apps available on BlackBerry, iPad, iPhone, Nokia and Windows Phone 7.
• Increased opportunities for attendees to engage with each other, including the exclusive MyMWC social networking site which enabled attendees to connect with other delegates with similar interests.
Mobile World Congress website - Full details of MWC, including the conference agenda and speakers, exhibitors, sponsors and media partners and event highlights: http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/
Watch the promotional video on the Mobile World Congress Experience:
View footage from MWC 2011: http://www.mobileworldlive.com/tv.asp?id=372
View panoramic photos of MWC 2011:
App Planet Overview:
Mobile World Live TV - View the congress keynotes:
List the appropriate creative and production credits for this entry:
• Production: GSMA Content Team
• Marketing: GSMA Ltd. Marketing Team
• Sales: GSMA Ltd Sales Function
• Operations: GSMA Operations Team
• GSMA PR Team